Using an app for daily walkaround checks, and a back-office system which also manages overall vehicle maintenance, can improve walkaround check systems, with multiple benefits, for drivers undertaking walkaround checks; for the maintenance team carrying out vehicle repairs; for management responsible for the overall fleet; and for business systems as a whole.
By using an electronic system for vehicle maintenance management, like STREAM Check, can:
- Make it easier for drivers to complete and record their daily walkaround checks with no loose papers to keep track of
- Make it easier to keep a record of those daily checks, and to prove compliance with the requirement for checks and inspections with immediate upload to secure, cloud-based storage
- Cut down resources spent filing, storing and recovering paper forms as check records are automatically stored in the cloud, and defect reports are sent straight to the people who need to act on them
- Extend the overall lifecycle of vehicles by catching defects early and tracking every one through to resolution
- Improve uptime and reduce disruption to service by keeping vehicles roadworthy at all times
For you, its easy to see that a system like STREAM Check would bring vast improvements, both to your compliance record and in terms of the actual long-term resource and cost saving associated with having a healthy fleet. But persuading decision makers that a fleet maintenance and vehicle check system is a worthy investment could be another matter. Here are a few ways you can make the case more compelling:
- Collect data, facts and statistics which can show the actual improvements that implementing a vehicle maintenance management system could bring. This might include current challenges caused by vehicle maintenance issues, the cost of major repairs and downtime for breakdowns, and case studies or research about other businesses already using a fleet maintenance system
- Work out how much implementing a vehicle maintenance system could save for the business, from the cost of buying, filing and storing paper logbooks, to the loss of business resulting from unexpected vehicle breakdowns, to the average extended lifetime of vehicles that are properly maintained
- Present the case in a clear and concise way, focussing on the facts: Where is your organisation now (current challenges and spend associated with vehicle maintenance)? What are the potential resource savings (costs, time and labour, as well as potential savings associated with more reliable uptime and longer vehicle life cycle)? Include additional features of the vehicle maintenance system too (like the ability to integrate with STREAM GoTMS to further streamline the whole logistics process). Reassure management of the low cost of implementation and the easy transition to an electronic system for checks and maintenance.
- Try before you buy with a 30-day free trial, so you can begin to show a) how easy implementation of a system like STREAM Check can be; and b) how your organisation can begin to see resource savings and compliance improvements from implementing the system
Clearly presenting facts about how much a system is likely to save in the business, along with reassurances of the ease and low cost of implementation, should help you to successfully present your case for an electronic vehicle maintenance management system and phone-based vehicle walkaround check software.